With our AVATAR customized, patient-specific, and concierge recovery program, we are now able to send the vast majority of patients undergoing shoulder replacement home the same day. This means patients do not have to spend the night in the hospital. Patients who have undergone outpatient shoulder replacement experience a much higher level of patient satisfaction for several reasons:
- Hospitals are uncomfortable and impersonal. Home is where people are most comfortable
- Everything in a hospital must be run through a nurse or physician including medications, activity, and diet. At home, patients can control these things in real-time on their own.
- Sleep in hospitals is nearly impossible due to noisy monitors and frequent awakenings for vital signs. At home, patients can sleep in the comfort of their own bed.
- Caretakers such as family and friends are only allowed around you during visiting hours. At home, you can have your loved ones and caretakers by your side all of the time.
- Hospital food is often undesirable. At home, patients can eat food that appeals to them and often has a higher nutritional content.
How do we manage such a successful outpatient shoulder replacement program? The answer is our customized care approach. We tailor each person’s recovery plan to their needs including therapy, pain management, and bowel management. With modern multimodal pain management techniques, patients often never experience tremendous pain after shoulder replacement and can manage their discomfort very well with a tailored oral medication regimen. This avoids the need for copious amounts of opioid pain medications leading to fewer adverse medication side effects such as nausea, vomiting, constipation, and sedation.
Dr. Parsons is a regional leader in shoulder replacement surgery. He has lectured both nationally and internationally about his work on using surgical navigation to improve the precision of implant placement. He is the author of several book chapters on this topic for which he was chosen as an author for his expertise in the field. No matter your diagnosis, age, or level of pain and dysfunction, we can tailor a treatment that suits you best to optimize your outcome and reduce potential complications.